Sunday 30 January 2011

New Lunch Club

Hi Blog Readers :)
Thought I'd better be a bit more pro-active in keeping my blog updated and since I'm having a quiet Sunday night in, this seemed like the best opportunity! 

This Wednesday myself, the other first years (Kate, Katie and Dave) and Carlie started a new lunch club in a school in Deptford. We went in not expecting to not have too many students come along, we hadn't had a chance to advertise personally. The school did an announcement over the PA, but we still only expected 10 or so students.

For the first 5-10 minutes there was only about 4 students and it was beginning to feel reallyyyy awkward. A teacher, who turned out to be the headteacher, said she'd "go round up a few more". She returned with a queue of about 50 students!

I was hurriedly typing their names into the register on Carlie's laptop and absolutely in awe of the number of young people walking into the drama studio! By the end, there were around 58 students in the drama studio, (with some turning up too late to come in) - all joining in the games and the "boogaloo". It was absolutely incredible to watch, particularly as I was stood by the door watching it all from slightly afar!

This term I've been so amazed by the work God is doing in schools, both lunch clubs that I'm involved with have around 50 or so students turning up and even though it's manic and crazy and loud, it's incredible and so exciting to be reaching so many young people on a weekly basis and spending time with them in such an informal, fun way! 

I'm so excited for the next week and Ghana is now just two weeks away!!! 

Blog Soon readers
xxx

1 comment:

  1. Ah the lunch club sounds like such a positive move! Well done. And I am so pleased that you and your colleagues have been moved to reach out to others x

    ReplyDelete